Tuesday 26 March 2013

The comedown

After a weekend like the one I had, nothing could really compare. I've been back at work and unfortunately there's not a lot of work to do, so I've occupied myself with trying to find a topic on which to base my year abroad report. I'm struggling, because there's far too much choice, but I think I've settled on something. I'm going to check some facts and see if I can make something of it.

Other than that, work is quiet. No, that's a lie. There is not much work, but there's not much quiet either. You'll remember I was moved to a shiny temporary office while my new office is made ready. Today I was kicked out of the temporary office and into the office next door while my temporary office was essentially pulled apart. I don't know what the workers were hoping to find; by the looks of things the treasure of the Sierra Madre is somewhere to be found in that room.

That wouldn't be so bad, were it not for the heavy-duty power tools they're using to dismantle cupboards, desks, and a secret compartment under the floor. My new temporary office, located next door, positively vibrates to the cheerful sound of saws and drills. Thankfully it is very temporary; I go to Germany on Tuesday (Third year abroad, it's the best) and I get to stay there for a week. I'm incredibly excited by the prospect. I shall consume culture which will hopefully help soak up the copious amounts of beer I will inevitably drink.

Other than that, however, there is little more to say. Yesterday's regular student has made huge progress and has started autocorrecting, which means before long she won't need me any more. My other student arrives back from tennis tournaments halfway across the world this weekend, which is exciting, if only because I'll get to see how much English he's forgotten. And how much work we have to do.

So: one week to Germany, two weeks to new language hub, and six weeks until I have to hand in my year abroad report.

Yikes.

(Oh, and I'll find out about the job by the end of the week. It's only interesting to my mother and I, but she reads this so I mention it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment